Saturday, October 20, 2012
I woke up two hours early today so that I could get everything done that I needed to...but today had other plans. Things have gone well, don't get me wrong, just not according to what I had planned. ~250 miles into the day, with another 6 hours to go, I've got just enough time to pause and get this Pinstrosity out to you.
Sara sent us in a Pinstrosity she ended up with while trying to make fabric flowers. Here's the original pin:
The Original Pin
Sara said "I saw the cute flower tutorial and thought it could make an adorable hair-clip for my baby daughter. I know that photo-tutorials often turn into Pinstrosities, but I figured, if it didn't work out I'd just send it in to you! :) And, here it is. I imagine if I had used a different fabric it might have turned out better. I used a satin-type fabric, because that's what I had around the house. I wasn't about to purchase anything new for an experiment. I followed the directions exactly, but since there weren't a whole lot of directions, that doesn't say much. :) If you have any other ideas on how it could've worked better, I'd love to hear them!"
So I decided to try this out, starting first with satiny fabric like Sara used and my results came out slightly different, but not much better. I found that keeping your stitch lengths all the same is key to this flower turning out right.
So then I pulled out some stiffer fabric from my stash to see how it fared and it went much better.
While the thicker fabric did help a lot, I really found that what made the most difference was keeping all my stitch lengths the same; that creates a more uniform flower.